Around the world, every day, millions of people rely on the medicines we distribute and dispense. They rely on our local pharmacists for information, support and advice. They rely on the convenience of our retail presence to support their daily living and on our beauty products to look their best.
Our busines values and the nature of our day-to-day operations, which are rooted in supporting communities and connected to healthcare, inform and shape our approach to CSR.
Since the Company was created through the combination of Walgreens and Alliance Boots in December 2014, we have worked diligently to align our global CSR strategy. As a global company inheriting the significant historical CSR contributions of our legacy companies, we are in a position to make a profound impact. This report shows the progress we are making in combining our CSR practices. We are excited to evolve our CSR strategy into a more holistic approach, measuring and showing stakeholders our progress along the way.
For the first time in fiscal 2016, Walgreens Boots Alliance collected data from all our businesses across the globe, on community contributions, carbon emissions, waste disposal and employees by gender. Deloitte & Touche LLP conducted a review of selected indicators within this report in accordance with attestation standards established by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Their assurance report can be found here
. These data will serve as the baseline to show our progress in these areas in the future.
Another important step during fiscal 2016 was aligning our target-setting methodology with our business and CSR strategies. Through alignment with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals, conversations with our stakeholders, and stakeholder benchmarks, we’ve transitioned our efforts into four key focus areas that will shape our CSR approach moving forward:
- Community – We strive to be a responsible neighbor in the communities we serve around the world
- Environment – We are determined to protect the environment and do our part to ensure it flourishes for future generations
- Marketplace – We aim to do business fairly and with integrity
- Workplace – We strive to treat our people with dignity and respect
As we continue to integrate CSR into our businesses, we are committed to setting measurable targets to hold ourselves accountable and to demonstrate our annual progress. This is a process that will take time. It begins with the updated focus on key areas and with our global data collection for fiscal 2016, which you can read more about in the About this report
Our businesses engage in initiatives that are both relevant to their local communities and markets and fall within the central, Company-wide CSR framework. We adjusted the framework this year to define 12 CSR goals, three in each of our four focus areas. Each goal is addressed in a section of this report explaining our impact and progress in that specific area during fiscal 2016. The goals are as follows:
We understand our responsibility to our neighbors and are taking actions to:
To protect the earth and its resources for future generations, we understand our potential positive impact and are taking actions to:
- Support the health, wellbeing and vitality of the communities we serve
- Enable young people to achieve their potential wherever they are in the world
- Develop and mobilize our resources and partnerships in the fight against cancer
To compete fairly and with integrity, we are taking action to:
- Reduce our energy consumption and emissions on a comparable basis* as defined by the Greenhouse Gas Protocol
- Reduce the waste we create, on a comparable basis*, and contribute to the drive for increasingly circular economies through increased re-use and recycling
- Develop plans to help achieve zero net deforestation by 2020, collaborating with other organizations in a global initiative
To treat our people with dignity and respect, we are taking action to:
- Create a global process that enables transparency of ingredients and their traceability for the exclusive consumer retail product brands that we sell
- Continue to drive ethical sourcing practices – protecting human rights across our supply chain
- Work collaboratively with a global network of key external organizations engaging in issues that carry the greatest social relevance to the markets and in the communities we serve
- Proactively support the personal health and wellbeing of our employees
- To deliver our commitment to equal opportunities for everyone across our employment practices, policies and procedures
- Continuously improve our robust approach to health and safety, actively caring for our employees and customers, throughout the Company
*Excludes the impact of acquisitions, disposals and any significant changes in existing operations