Joined by EY, Reckitt and Neurodiversity in the Workplace, discussions covered health equity, sustainability, disability hiring and supply chain resiliency
DEERFIELD, Ill., March 10, 2023 – As part of the Walgreens Boots Alliance (Nasdaq: WBA) purpose, more joyful lives through better health, the company has launched its fiscal year 2022 ESG report, detailing WBA’s impactful efforts that are making a difference in thousands of communities around the world. To celebrate the launch, WBA yesterday hosted a virtual event, featuring report highlights and discussions with ESG thought leaders.
In addition to sharing the company’s progress on a range of initiatives within the four pillars of its health-centered ESG strategy – Healthy Communities, Healthy and Inclusive Workplace, Healthy Planet and Sustainable Marketplace – company and industry leaders participated in thought-provoking discussions on topics including health equity, sustainability, disability hiring and more.
"I am very proud of the impact WBA continues to make in the communities we serve and beyond, as we look to build a healthier and better world through our ESG efforts, initiatives and partnerships," said Ornella Barra, WBA's chief operating officer, international and chair of the ESG committee. "Our ESG report further illustrates WBA’s commitment to our four pillars and the strong progress we continue to make. From providing prenatal vitamins to expectant mothers in need, to improving access to healthcare services in socially vulnerable communities, to expanding programs focused on responsible sourcing and product transparency – it is a testament to our partners, and our team members around the globe who live our purpose every day, to create more joyful lives through better health.”
WBA Fiscal Year 2022 ESG Report
Healthcare is at the center of WBA's ESG framework, reflecting the company’s vision to be the leading partner in reimagining local healthcare and wellbeing for all.
The fiscal year 2022 report highlights WBA’s prominent role in combating the COVID-19 pandemic with a focus on health equity, the launch of its clinical trials business, its efforts to increase the representation of people of color in leadership roles and much more.
- Administered approximately 36 million COVID-19 vaccinations during fiscal year 2022
- Donated $100M to support the health and wellbeing of communities around the world
- Achieved 21.2 percent carbon emissions reduction against goal to reduce carbon emissions by 30 percent by 2030 compared with 2019 baseline
- Boots UK awarded Company of the Year at British Diversity Awards and Walgreens ranked 40 on the 2022 DiversityInc Top 50 Companies for Diversity
- Became a Sustainable Procurement Pledge champion driving awareness and knowledge of sustainable procurement practices
- WBA named to Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index for third consecutive year
Download the full ESG report at WalgreensBootsAlliance.com for additional information on WBA’s achievements and progress.
WBA ESG Report Virtual Launch Event Recap
WBA leaders, partners and guest speakers conducted thought-provoking discussions on critical ESG themes and topics, including:
- How great partnerships drive equitable health access and transform communities
- The evolving landscape of sustainability
- Disability hiring and inclusion
- Developing sustainable brands that support a resilient supply chain
The event featured remarks and conversation from a range of leaders, including:
- Roz Brewer, CEO, Walgreens Boots Alliance
- Amy Brachio, global deputy vice chair, sustainability, EY
- Kris Licht, president, health and global chief customer officer, Reckitt
- Joe Riddle, director of Neurodiversity in the Workplace
To view a replay of the event, please visit WalgreensBootsAlliance.com/ESG-Event.
About Walgreens Boots Alliance
Walgreens Boots Alliance (Nasdaq: WBA) is an integrated healthcare, pharmacy and retail leader serving millions of customers and patients every day, with a 170-year heritage of caring for communities.
A trusted, global innovator in retail pharmacy with approximately 13,000 locations across the U.S., Europe and Latin America, WBA plays a critical role in the healthcare ecosystem. The Company is reimagining local healthcare and well-being for all as part of its purpose – to create more joyful lives through better health. Through dispensing medicines, improving access to a wide range of health services, providing high quality health and beauty products and offering anytime, anywhere convenience across its digital platforms, WBA is shaping the future of healthcare.
WBA employs more than 325,000 people and has a presence in nine countries through its portfolio of consumer brands: Walgreens, Boots, Duane Reade, the No7 Beauty Company, Benavides in Mexico and Ahumada in Chile. Additionally, WBA has a portfolio of healthcare-focused investments located in several countries, including China and the U.S.
The Company is proud of its contributions to healthy communities, a healthy planet, an inclusive workplace and a sustainable marketplace. WBA has been recognized for its commitment to operating sustainably: the Company is an index component of the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) and was named to the 100 Best Corporate Citizens 2022.
More Company information is available at WalgreensBootsAlliance.com.
Jim Cohn +1 224-813-9057
Tiffany Kanaga +1 847 315 2922
Source: Walgreens Boots Alliance